Friday 14 June 2013

Reculver 13 April

What should have been a lovely Spring walk was in fact a lingering cold winter’s morning but the birding didn’t take long to remind me of better things to come. Before I had left the car in the Reculver Car Park, four Sandwich Terns drifted west occasional diving for fish which seemed quite productive. Whilst admiring these ‘Sea Swallows’ small numbers of House Martins followed the coast line.

Walking to Coldharbour provided a variety of waders and gulls with a real treat in the form of a pair of Little Gulls. The numbers of Little Egrets seems to be ever increasing along the newer diggings and on the return journey a party of thirty two Sanderlings chased the tide along the beach. I only stopped watching when two newly arrived Yellow Wagtails were so close on the beach that they must have been exhausted but remained unperturbed by my presence. Where was my cameraman!!


There was still time to experience the highs and lows before leaving for home. First the highs, close to the Oyster farm my breath was taken away by the display flight of a male Marsh Harrier who was joined by a female and the aerobatics were simply astounding. Then the lows……As I approached the Towers a Black Redstart flew round giving splendid views only to be chased round by a pair of birders/photographers. The bird then returned to the car park hotly pursued. By the time I appeared on the other side, the bird was on the end of the rocks under the Towers and the two individuals were climbing across the rocks hoping to flush the bird. They had a good day as they succeeded, I was choked, a good bird had been terrified and wouldn’t be enjoyed by anymore genuine birders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment