Thursday 15 November 2012

New ones for my Kent and 1MR Lists

13/11/12
An early start on Tuesday as my car was dropped off at the garage near Hampton. My dad dropped me at the pier but he stayed briefly just to have a look at the sea. Whilst we were there a Red Breasted Merganser flew past which was a new one for my 1 mile radius list, this was then followed up by 4 Great Crested Grebes in the 'bay' area. I then walked home trying to see if I could pick anything else up but there was nothing of note.

15/11/12
Today was a quick look around Hampton and then onto Reculver. At Hampton there wasn't too much about. The usual sea gulls, Redshanks, Turnstones and 3 Purple Sandpipers. As I was looking at the Purple Sands something caught my attention out the corner of my eye but when I looked it was gone. I carried on looking for it and it turned out to be a Little Grebe, a new one for my 1MR list and what I think is a good bird for the area. I had never seen one on the sea before but there is ditch which might be where it usually hangs out.

After this I moved on to Reculver in search of a Barred Warbler that had been  reported. Once I had arrived there after a few minutes I was joined by Dad and then Chiddy, then Marc and Adam all in search of the Barred Warbler. There were a couple of Waxwings on the top of one of the bushes by the crossing. We did see a bird in the undergrowth but not enough to call anything. After this brief sighting it was the only sign of anything so we moved on in search of Long-Eared Owls. All I can say is, what a spectacle! A lifer for me as well. Thanks Chiddy!

Common Gull, Hampton

Waxwing, Reculver

No comments:

Post a Comment