Tuesday 14 August 2012

Purple Heron #3

Oare Marshes 30/7/12

The plan was to go to Swalecliffe and hopefully get some pictures of waders as the tide came in but no joy with this as I was too late as it was virtually high tide and there was a ridiculous number of dog walkers down there meaning there weren't many birds to see. With this I thought I would go to Oare Marshes as it was high tide and see if I could spot the Curlew Sandpipers being seen.

Once there I walked from the car park to the bench near the East Flood Hide so I could see the birds as the light was better from there. On the way I saw  Redshank, Golden Plover, Black Tailed Godwit, a single Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Linnet, Swallow, Sand Martin, Black Headed, Herring and Great Black Backed Gulls. Once at the bench I saw Common Terns flying around the flood and then I was joined by Alan Woodcock and Bob Bland and whilst they were  there I spotted a Yellow Wagtail and then they kindly singled out a Yellow-Legged Gull for me that they spotted from the other side. Also noted were Greenshank, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Lapwing, Avocet, Mute Swan, Coot, Crow, Greylag Geese, Sedge Warbler and Meadow Pipit. There was also 3 or 4 Buzzards circling around Mockett's. Also while there I noticed a Heron flying in from the East and at closer inspection it was a Purple Heron! Before we had clocked on to what it was it was too late for a decent picture of it but I've never seen one in the UK until this year and I've seen 3! On the way back round I also picked up a Spotted Redshank which is another new one for the year for me. So despite the poor start it turned out to be a very good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment