Sunday 6 October 2013

Vismig at Swalecliffe

6/10/13

I know we haven't blogged much recently but I'm going to try and keep on top of it now as I can't get out too much now working 6 days a week so it shouldn't be too hard! Getting down to Swalecliffe for sunrise was the plan of action before I went off to my football match.

Sunrise from the brook

Plenty of vismig this morning with the early morning mist burning off. As I parked I caught a glimpse of some winter thrushes flying over but as I was still in the car I couldn't identify them. I started by checking the brook from the bridge and working my way up towards the beach. Seeing the usual birds there: Blue Tit, Dunnock, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Magpie, Starling, Blackbird and Wren. Black Headed Gulls and Herring Gulls were flying over too and a Green Woodpecker was heard in the sewage works. Goldfinches were also passing over frequently but outnumbered significantly by Greenfinches. Working my way up the brook a few Chiffchaffs were seen but more were heard, there were also some singing making it feel like summer....whilst in my coat. Up by the sluice there were an influx of Blackcaps as I saw at least 3 males and 1 female or juvenile, I also saw more there on my way out, a couple more males and another 3+ females/juveniles. There were also a good number of Song Thrushes in that area too. The tide was out so didn't see much on the mud or the sea. The resident Linnets were flying around the scrub and I also picked out some juvenile Reed Buntings, there were at least 3 but 2 were quite mobile so I could have carried on counting the same ones if I wanted. There were 50+ Meadow Pipits on the beach feeding only to be spooked by a dog walker, otherwise I would have only said about 20! A Grey Wagtail flew over while I was near the bridge by the shingle adding a bit more variety. On the way back I added Great Black-Backed Gull and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

A nice morning out even if it was for only a couple of hours. It is always good to see some vismig, even if it's just the little things like seeing all the Blackcaps and Mipits today, I love it.

1 comment: