Tuesday 5 February 2013

Lazing on a Monday afternoon

4/2/13

Decided on a late afternoon visit to Stodmarsh having got out of domestic duties on a week's holiday. Sadly the cameraman had other commitments as, on entering the lane, a Great Spotted Woodpecker was in the hedgerow. Fantastic views, I could have wound the window down and touched him, he would have flown of course!

First stop was Reedbed Hide, there wasn't that much water the last time I was there. Apart from Mallard, there was the throng of Cormorants coming in to roost, one group was nearly thirty strong. A walk through the Alder Wood failed to produce Siskins once again but by way of compensation as I rejoined the main track a Bittern flew up in front of me and headed towards Collards giving good views during its extended flight.

A walk on round to the ox-bow area produced little to warm the freezing soul although I stopped near Tower Hide to chat with a guy from Bodiam who spends most of his time at Rye Harbour but had travelled up to enjoy the Harrier roost. On my return I stopped on the Lampen Wall by the bench to watch the evening light fade. Although i did manage twelve Marsh Harriers I only found a single ringtail. Thirty years ago it would have been the other way round, how times change.

Looking forward to another escapade tomorrow, weather looks promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment