Saturday 1 December 2012

Good Old Seawatch

Hampton 30/11/12

After a couple of days of good birds seen off the sea after recent north winds I thought I would try off Hampton to see if I could add to my 1 Mile Radius List.

I arrived at Hampton at 8:45am and set the scope up at the end of the promenade. It started fairly quiet but soon picked up with a Shelduck flying W,  Curlew also flew West, the 3 Purple Sandpipers were on the rocks in front of me and 1 Great Crested Grebe W. Out towards the turbines there were 11 Red Throated Divers E (7+4) and 4 Common Scoters W. After a little while longer I clocked up up 12 Brent Geese E, a group of 15 Common Scoters W and 2 Red-Breasted Mergansers W. I managed to pick up a bigger dark bird through my binoculars and as I went to look through the scope I picked up a different bird flying past which turned out to be a Razorbill, a great bird for my 1 Mile Radius List. Before I left saw a duck flying through fairly close in and got in the scope and after closer inspection and conferring with books and my Dad before publicising, it was a Ruddy Duck! As I left there were 5 more Common Scoter sitting on the sea in front of the turbines.

A good days birding adding 5 to my 1MR List and Ruddy Duck to my year list!

No comments:

Post a Comment